Sunday, November 15, 2009

 

Illinois 1855 State Census in Marshall, Illinois

I just found on Roll ILSC_2193 line 14 an A. Robinson listed on the 1855 census in Marshall, Illinois, which is the county for Wenona. Abiathar Smith Robinson lived there, but I thought in the 1870's.

This could be anyone, for that matter, not only Abiathar. It listed people as all the census did up until 1850, as tally marks on the male side and the same on the female side. This was the smudgiest, darkest copy you can imagine seeing and it took awhile for my eyes to even find Robinson. It looked like this: and I'll use a - for a blank box. 1-11----1-11----23513. I have no idea where the break was between male and female side, but this looks like there were more females than males with 21 boxes.

My conclusion is that there was a Robinson in Marshall in 1855. That in itself is pretty exciting to me.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?