Wednesday, October 27, 2004

 

1810 Swanton, Vermont Census

Swanton is located in Franklin County, 10 miles north of St. Albans along Highway 7 on the banks of the Missisquoi River near Lake Champlain. It's close to the New York side. It is one of the few places in Vermont where Native Americans are known to have had a permanent settlement. In the past, smuggling was one of Swanton's most lucrative businesses. This town near the Vermont-Quebec border was the scene of controversy when enterprising Vermonters drove cattle across the border into Canada and sold them to British soldiers during the War of 1812. Twentieth-century smugglers followed in their predecessors' footsteps during Prohibition. It's possible that the following Robinsons were involved with the above smuggling during 1810. Also, the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge, established in 1943, is located on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain near the Canadian border in Franklin County, Vermont. The headquarters is 2 miles NW of Swanton, on Route 78. It's a 6,642-acre refuge that includes most of the Missisquoi River delta where it flows into Missisquoi Bay. It consists of quiet water and wetlands that attract large flocks of migratory birds. The Upland areas of the refuge are a hardwood mix of American elm, white ash, white oak, silver and red maple, and open fields. Both provide habitat for migratory song birds, resident mammals and other wildlife. One can imagine what it was like to live in 1810 Swanton.
Swanton had many Robinsons.
1. Amos Robinson
2. Dorian Robinson
3. Joseph Robinson (identified)
4. James Robinson
5. Israel Robinson (identified)
6. Amos Robinson
7. Asahel Robinson
8. Silas Robinson
One of these could have been the father of Abiathar Smith Robinson.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?